"I'm asking you to believe.
Not in my ability to make change, but in yours."
There is, without doubt, enough awful news coming from Washington
to fill one of these newsletters every hour around the clock, and it's
so easy to become discouraged.
However, it’s important to pause and acknowledge some of the amazingly wonderful, loving and kind acts going on every day across the country.
Our humanity and very real patriotism are so much stronger than our differences and the hate being spewed by small minded, dark-hearted people.
Our Americanism is stronger than our other isms, and we are stepping up.
• Protecting our neighbors: People across the country spend time training
to help protect and defend their immigrant neighbors whom, for the most part, they have never even met. Defend Our Neighbors
• Providing sanctuary: Churches, cities, states declare themselves to be
safe havens for undocumented immigrants not involved in other illegal activities, despite threats of reduced federal funding.
• Sending donations: private citizens are sending increased donations across the board to groups threatened with defunding - Planned Parenthood, museums, theaters, etc.
• Rediscovering old bonds: Muslim and Jewish Americans have formed strong bonds of brother - and sister - hood.
Jews hand Muslims keys to synagogue after Texas mosque burns
... and then ...
Muslim group raises more than $40,000 to repair damages at Jewish cemetery
What has yet to be accomplished in the Middle East is being done on a daily basis here.
• Dramatically increasing political awareness and involvement.
People from all walks of life are getting involved in every level
of political activity. Even the scientists are getting involved - with rallies
and a new interest in running for office.
Trump's Election Drives More Women To Consider Running For Office
3,000 Scientists Have Asked for Help Running for Office to Oppose Trump
compare to this from 2015:
Millennials don’t want to run for office
• Demanding and showing up at Town Hall meetings. Need we say more?
If there’s any question that they are having an impact, the president was moved to mock: "The so-called angry crowds in home districts of some Republicans are actually, in numerous cases, planned out by liberal activists. Sad!"
• Challenging credibility: Kellyanne Conway is increasingly losing hers on all fronts. She has been barred from Morning Joe, and according to reports, was pulled off the air by the White House - not for her lies but for being “off message”.
Stephen Miller, that smarmy, lying little tyrant, has not been seen since his big rollout weekend of ickiness.
The Downfall of Kellyanne Conway
Kellyanne Conway barred from TV after string of questionable interviews
• Republicans are beginning to speak out: Most notably, Boehner, McCain, Lindsay Graham. Not exactly leaping across the aisle, but not drinking the Kool-Aid, either.
John Boehner says the ObamaCare repeal and replace is not going to happen
John McCain just systematically dismantled Donald Trump’s entire worldview
• Impeachment talk: The president’s ability - or rather, inability - to serve has become regular fodder for news shows. He is increasingly a liability for the GOP, and they will act on it when their own re-electability is threatened. Impeachment - or some other form of replacement - is regularly being discussed among the pundits.
Are Senate Republicans finally waking up?
WATCH: The most dangerous man in Trump's world (spoiler alert: it's Pence)
• Pope Francis offers encouragement
WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsberg: “the true symbol of the United States
is not the bald eagle, it’s the pendulum, and when the pendulum swings too far in one direction, it will go back.”
• Seven new planets: It's always good to know there's somewhere to get away :)
• Susan Keller has added her (mostly humorous) list of positive changes since the election.
And that, Sisters, is the little ray of sunshine for the day.